Tuesday, January 09, 2007

step one: speak no evil


So at cell group tonight, one of our discussion questions was:
What is one step you can take to expand your spiritual "comfort zone"?
Well...my answer took some thinking and I came up with this: I would like to change my behavior to reflect better who I think God wants me to be, and ultimately, who I want to be.
I have allowed myself to slip into some things that I quite honestly find embarassing. I made mention of this in an earlier blog referring to a party night with the girls where in the end I found out one of those girls was a Christian and I was ashamed of my behavior. Then the bigger problem was that I was ashamed of acting that way in front of her, and wasn't bothered by my actions in front of the others who were there.
If I'm going to believe in something and testify to it, I need to be at least trying to live an example of it myself. No matter who I'm around. I can't wear several different faces. I'm one person, with one set of standards and I need to define them, and stick to them.
So step one: speak no evil. I have a potty mouth. Have had for a long time. I have made efforts to curb my tongue, and have made some progress, but not enough. Starting today, no more sailor mouth. I am going to attempt 30 days without swearing. Should I succeed, I am guessing I will have created a new and good habit in my life.

5 comments:

tara said...

I'll be praying, you can do it!

Dawna Coleman said...

Wow--good for you! Cheers to your non-potty mouth!

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your most crazy of endeavours. I hope you manage to pull that @#$% off.

tara said...

new post please

the book of Bernadette said...

i know all things are possable with the lord......if u can do it, all of us can do it too!!!